Scroll down to the bottom of the page
to see a video of Gretta
and pictures from her funeral

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Rewards For Holding On

Romans 8:18 "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us."

How difficult it is to hold fast to the reminders and promises of Scripture on a moment by moment basis. "Count it all joy!" ??? "In everything give thanks for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." ??? Really??? Seriously???

In the past two months we have faced losing our home, my being forced to take a job outside of the home with no childcare for the kids, Matt starting school, going to the county for assistance with our needs, the dryer breaking, the heat going out on the van, the vacuum saying goodbye permanently, the computer crashing and burning, H1N1, strep throat, an unpaid heating bill and 'Final Notice', Matt's grandfather dying, and other unmentionables.

As we struggle daily with the "How's and What's and Where's and even the Whys" and don't get me started on the "What NEXT?"; I am pulled to my Bible, my knees and my only Strength, Jesus Christ.

If I am honest with you, then I must admit that in each and every moment I am not singing praise with a thankful heart. Sometimes I wonder, "Where is God in all of this?" "What kind of a plan is this?" Other times, I feel grounded, satisified with His answers or lack of them, safe.

I am examining my heart and life, searching for the sin that must be making us a target of His wrath....I am no longer exempt from His chastising love, my period of exemption for grief is over. I can feel it. The last two years has been a painful pruning of my life and it goes on still. What am I missing?

Lamentations 3:26 "It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the Lord." (Hmmmm, not so good at this one, am I?)

Create in me a clean heart, Lord, strengthen me with perseverance, patience and a positive disposition. Strengthen my faith, show me again Your unfailing love, let my hope not waiver. Whatever this is for Lord, let me be committed to following You and trusting in Your ways, not mine. Deliver us Lord from our afflictions, put us up high on a rock, while You do the work, let us be Faithful to Your Name. Amen

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Lesley, did you read the January 20th devotion in Streams in the Desert?

"Sorrow, under the power of divine grace, performs various ministries in our lives. Sorrow reveals unknown depths of the soul, and unknown capacities for suffering and service... sorrow is God's tool to plow the depths of the soul, that it may yield richer harvests... sorrow makes us move more slowly and considerately and examine our motives and attitudes...

Ecclesiastes 7:3 Sorrow is better than laughter, because a sad face is good for the heart.

I don't claim to understand God's ways and saying that sorrow is better than laughter sounds almost insensitive. But I know that God's word is truth.

I don't pray for you to be filled with sorrow. Quite the opposite actually. But I hope there's some comfort in knowing that when we are weak HE is strong. His power is made perfect in our weakness!!

Your unwavering faith, even through questioning, honestly makes me stop and stand in awe of the awesome God that we serve!

A day in the Life... said...

1 Peter 5:10

The God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.

Mommy Missionary said...

2 Samuel 6:8-9
After Uzzah dies when he touches the ark of the covenant.

"Then David was angry because the Lord's wrath had broken out against Uzzah, and to this day that place is called Perez Uzzah. David was afraid of the Lord that day and said, "How can the ark of the Lord ever come to me?"

Who can stand before the Lord? I have felt like I can in all my christianness. But I can't. No one can. And for me realizing that has been really freeing. The only thing I can do is cling to Christ and his cross of forigiveness!